Hey guys, here is a little Q&A I did over at Readeropolis’ blog as apart of the Dear You blog tour.
When did you first consider yourself a writer?
– Ummm, honestly I don’t know if I consider myself a writer now. Even though I have been writing for 10 years now, I am still somewhat of a newbie. I had written a few small “books” and have been writing a blog for a few years, but this will be the first time where a major publisher has picked up my book, where I am writing Guest Posts and doing Blog Tours. There are even a couple of other exciting opportunities in the very beginning stages, so we shall see what the future holds.
What was your inspiration behind the book?
– Death, oddly enough. Death has always been an aspect that been “shoved in my face” so to say. I had never feared death, even though i had shaken hands with the Grim Reaper a few times. After recieving some pretty life defining news from a blood test, i found myself fearing the inevitable end for the first time. Writing is always theraputic, so I wrote letters to my parents and siblings. The letters snowballed and here we are, an entire book of letters to family and friends and life events that had a major impact in shaping who I am today.
What is the meaning behind the book cover?
– I wrote my entire manuscript at the kitchen table, the view in front of me everytime I looked up was the kitchen. This was the only place that felt right to write my story. Growing up my family and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen. From cooking and baking, to family dinners on Sunday and Saturday morning breakfasts, even game nights filled with Yahtzee battles to keeping that poker face solid. I wanted the cover to represent all of that, I wanted the reader to see what i saw while writing Dear You.
What is the meaning behind the title of the book?
– The most important letter i wrote in my book was the first letter that opens and closes the book. It is the letter i wrote to you the reader, hence Dear You. I had a message to send out into the world, i had a message for you and what’s the best way to grab someone’s attention? Be direct, so, Dear You is like me giving you that adorable smirk and saying, “hey, listen up guys.”.
Do you have a spirit animal/ ascot that inspires you?
– Iron Man is my spirit animal. Tony Stark is one sexy badass who, even though has a giant ego, has a heart of gold that fronts forward to save and protect those he cares for and the world. His personality is bold and his brain is extremely intellegent. When faced with new opportunities offered or when facing any fear, I channel my inner Tony Stark, my inner Iron Man. It may sound crazy, but when I do this my confidence is crazily boosted, I feel fearless.